The municipality of Khinchara - Jouar is located in the Kaza of Matn one of is one of the eight mohafazats (governorates) of Lebanon. Khinchara - Jouar is 30 kilometers (18.642 mi) away from Beyrouth (Beirut) the capital of Lebanon. It's elevations is of 1070 meters (3510.67 ft - 1170.152 yd) above sea level. Khinchara - Jouar surface stretches for 363 hectares (3.63 km² - 1.40118 mi²) .
The climate is moderate as it is surrounded with pine trees and white solid rocks.
File available in arabic on the voters, municipal councils and results of lebanese Municipal and Ikhtiariah elections held in 2010.
However, the resident population does not exceed 1,800-2,200 and the number of households is estimated at 490. The registered population is distributed as follows:
• Catholics : 72%
• Maronites : 13.5%
• Orthodox : 11.3%
• Armenian Orthodox : 0.9%
• Armenian Catholic : 0.8%
• Other : 1.3%
One can count approximately 100 families in Khinchara, with the largest, based on the number of voters, being the following: Samaha (Catholic 833 voters), Riachi (629 voters), Kfoury (175 voters), Kourban (106 voters), Kassouf (91 voters), Saliba (48 voters), Barakat (39 voters), Khoury (Orthodox 36 voters), Rizk (31 voters), Akl (25 voters), Kazaazayan (23 voters),Abboud (17 voters), Maalouf (16 voters), Kenaan (16 voters), Salibi (15 voters), Alexandarian (14 voters), Samaha (Orthodox 13 voters), Azzam (12 voters), Hallak (12 voters), Moussa (10 voters), Mounir (9 voters), Lahham (7 voters), Hounoud (7 voters) Khoury (Catholic 6 voters), Mouawad (6 voters) and Ghalli (5 voters).
The local administration in Khinchara is headed by a Municipal Council composed of 15 members and headed by George Hanna Samaha. In addition, the town has 2 mayors: Hanna Salem Kurban and Michel Abbas Riachi.
|Educational establishments - Aayroun (2005-2006) (3)||Lebanon (2005-2006) (2)|
|Public Schools||0||1 763|
|Private Schools||1||1 025|
Students schooled in the public schools
Students schooled in the private schools
The only private school is the St. George School which is operated by nuns. There are 450 students registered at St. George.
Service and Trade Institutions
The number is estimated to be in the region of 35, dealing mainly in the production of alcohol (3), mini-markets (5), restaurants (2), barber shops (4), bakeries & butcheries (4), Pasty shops and factories (2), libraries (2), Gas stations (1), chicken farm (1), gas bottling factory (1), canned food products factory (1), smithery and mechanics (2), smithery and aluminum (1), carpentry (2), tile and natural cutting and carving (4).
Approximately 50% of the land is owned by the Deir of Khinchara with the remaining land in private hands. Agricultural land constitutes approximately 15% of the terrain with almost 70% belonging to the Deir and the remaining 30% for land ownership.
Khinchara is mostly known for its pine seeds, which sell approximately 950 kg on a seasonal, basis. There are three main families in Khinchara that maintain the pine fields; each possesses a share of a approximate 300 kg per season. Other agricultural growth includes apricots, cherries peach and mostly importantly, grapes. Grape cultivation is used for private consumption, sale and wine production.
Clubs and Associations
There are seven associations in the village of Khinchara: Khinchara Sports Club, Khinchara Scouts, Church Agent Committee, Public Clinic, Caritas, Choir Club and "Cultural and Artistic Meeting" which is a special event that is held on a regular basis to exchange fine arts.
Characteristics of Khinchara
Khinshara’s El Sabeh monastery is seen as a starting point for an educational movement that was awakened by the first printing press in the Middle East. It dates back to 1734 with the printing of the first Arabic book, The Balance of the Times by Father Nuremberg. The press remained in use until 1899 when electricity was introduced in Lebanon. The press can now be seen on display at the Saint Jean Baptiste monastery.
Other characteristics include the village’s many spring waters and due to its natural beauty, it became the first summer residence of President Bechara Al Khoury in 1950. Residents of Khinshara are also widely known for their construction and fine arts work, such as the construction of the Beiteddine palace.
Map of the road network :
Map of desertification risk :
Map of rivers and water springs :
|Municipality of Khinchara - Jouar (2008)(4)|
|Address||Main road - Municipality of Khinchara - Jouar - Kaza of Matn|
|Phone Number||04/ 270 533 - 271 130|
|Fax Number||04/ 271 130|
|P.O. Box||Not Available|
|Web sites||Not Available|